Flap Discs are a very efficient abrasive disc variety. Abrasive flap discs are engineered to wear away and leave new exposed layers of teeth exposed. This is achieved by layering coated abrasive flaps so that when the top layer of flaps wears down, the layer beneath it is exposed and continues working effectively.
Flap discs are a great choice for time sensative applications as they grind, blend and finish the product all in a single step which leads to an increase in productivity and a decrease in time spent switching wheels.
Flap Discs Vs. Grinding Wheels
Flap discs have several advantages over traditional grinding wheels.
- Faster stock removal
- Smoother finish
- Cooler cutting which leades to reduced loading and glazing
- Easy to use
- Minimized gouging and rework
- Less vibration
Abrasive Flap Disc Backing Shape
Type 29: Conical Shape
The conical backing shape of flap discs shape the disc at an angle for an increased contact area. They are commonly used for edge work or on shaped surfaces. They come with a 15-25 degree working angle.
Type 27: Flat Shape
The flat backing shape is great for working on corners, edges and joints. Ideal for finishing ornate and complex surfaces and providing a smooth finish. The flat shaped back requires a 0-15 degree working angle.
Flap Disc Backings
- Soft ABS Plastic - Used so the edges can be trimmed, revealing more of the abrasive material.
- Hard Plastic - Used to promote ease of use and long-life; built for strength.
- Fiberglass - Custom engineered plates for incresed strength and safety. Fiberglass flap discs in this selection are made with more fiberglass than most other competitors making them one of the safest discs on the market.
A special adhesive has been created specifically for attaching the abrassive flaps to the backing of the disc. The adhesive is designed for two things:
- Maximum Performance
All Abrasives Are Made in The USA